Banner 1
Banner 7
Banner 3
Banner 2
Banner 4
Banner 5
Banner 6

Oakley to Long Crendon

 

 

Oakley’s Little London Green is a well-loved area of commons to the east of the village. (#1 shows an 18C map of the LL; #2 the old White Hart at the edge of the settlement.  Note the barn with its chimney, providing warmth for Drovers on their way to Long Crendon and Thame.)

 

 

After R&R they followed the main road (now the B4011) – until 1833, when it was turnpiked.  Then they devised a route to the south past Ixhill & Westfield Farms, which makes a great walk, only a mile each way.  It breaks away from the tarmac at SP 649100 (#3) and #4 & #5 give you a flavour of the rest.

 

 

There is a detour around a field about half way along, which is there on the 1890’s 6” map.  Perhaps one farmer refused admittance to a precious field.  Who knows?  (That question wasn’t rhetorical: does anyone know?)


The owner of Westfield Farm reassured us that we were on an old droving route, which is always reassuring.

Oakley to Long Crendon image 1
Oakley, 1750's
Oakley to Long Crendon image 2
The ex-White Hart
Oakley to Long Crendon image 3
Off tarmac